Photonis produces Miniature Gamma Ionization Chambers mainly dedicated for the measurement of high intensity gamma radiations, as close as possible to the gamma generator.
Custom Gamma ionization chambers
By full control of the following processes, Photonis Nuclear Instrumentation can supply custom gamma ionization chambers with the highest quality and reliability levels
- Adaptation of industrialized gamma ionization chambers to customer specific requirements.
- Development of new gamma ionization chambers with our experienced R&D team.
- Long term collaboration with the French Atomic Energy Commission / CEA (theoretical approach, modeling, qualification tests in research reactors.
- Complete manufacturing process on site.
- Support from all the Photonis Group activities, experience and knowledge.
- Certifications & Quality Assurance programs adapted to the customer environment.
- Technical support, applying expertise.
- Structure: One coaxial mineral insulated cable connected to the detector.
- Electrodes: The two electrodes consist of a concentric stainless steel tube assembly.
- Filling gas: The gas type and pressure depend on the required sensitivity. Standard gases are nitrogen or xenon.
- Insulators: As it is necessary to measure extremely low currents, insulators must be of very high quality and radiation resistant. Photonis only uses high-grade alumina insulators from qualified suppliers.
|Examples of custom versions from basic types|
- Gamma sensitivity tailored to individual requirement
- Connector type (BNC, BNCHT, HN or others)
- Adapted external dimensions and mechanical interfaces
- Ruggedized structure for harsh environment (radiation, temperature, humidity, mechanical stress)
The French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA) selected Photonis as its technological partner for a co-operative development of neutron and gamma detectors when the French nuclear power program took shape in the sixties.
Fuel reprocessing plant – AREVA/COGEMA/ORANO – Numerous gamma ionization chambers – France, Japan.