In severe operating conditions, and when the use of detectors with an integral cable is not preferred, an alternative is to use a coaxial mineral insulated cable extension connected to the detector.
|Basic type||MI Cable External diameter (mm)||Signal transmission||Connector type|
|EXT-HN||6||Pulse, fluctuation (Campbell) and current modes||HN|
Such mineral insulated cable extensions are terminated by two HN-connectors (plugs or jacks). For pulse and current transmissions, the coaxial cables are 6 mm in diameter adapted to 50 Ω characteristic impedance with high-immunity to parasites. For direct current transmissions, a 3 mm diameter cable extension is available.
Custom coaxial cable extensions & connectors
By full control of the following processes, Photonis Nuclear Instrumentation can supply custom coaxial cable extensions & connectors with the highest quality and reliability levels
- Adaptation of industrialized coaxial cable extensions & connectors to customer specific requirements.
- Development of new coaxial cable extensions & connectors with our experienced R&D team.
- Long term collaboration with the French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission / CEA (theoretical approach, modeling, qualification tests in research reactors).
- Complete manufacturing process on site.
- Support from all the Photonis Group activities, experience and knowledge.
- Certifications & Quality Assurance programs adapted to the customer environment.
- Technical support, applying expertise.
Examples of custom versions from basic types
- Adapted mechanical interface with the equipment (Customized external dimensions, cable curvature radius)
- Adapted electrical characteristics (characteristic impedance, capacitance, line resistance, attenuation, transfer impedance)
- Cable insulator material (Al2O3, MgO, SiO2)
- LOCA (Lose Of Coolant Accident) and post-LOCA protection ?
- Ruggedized structure for harsh environment (radiation, temperature, humidity, mechanical stress)
- Coaxial Mineral insulated connector type (HN, BNC, BNC HT or specific). Reinforced types are available for high pressure, high temperature conditions
- External mechanical and/or electrical protection around the cable and/or the connectors (folded spiral seam, radiation resistant heat-shrink sleeve)
- Connectors can also be delivered in mating connector or tight feedthrough versions
- Structure configuration: Coaxial (one central conductor, one external envelope).
- Cable materials: Multi metallic cable envelope for high immunity to parasites. Magnesia (MgO) cable insulator
- Connector Material: Stainless steel and Nickel structure and high-grade Alumina (Al2O3) insulator.
The French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA) selected Photonis as its technological partner for a co-operative development of neutron and gamma detectors when the French nuclear power program took shape in the sixties.
PWR – Safety critical signal transmission in reactor building – Mineral insulated cable extension – EXT-HN - France